Lunch Application

Killeen Independent School District
Letter to Households
National School Lunch Program
School Year 2018-2019

Dear Parent/Guardian:

Children need healthy meals to learn. Killeen Independent School District offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast price is $ 1.50; lunch price is $ 2.50 for elementary and $ 2.75 for secondary. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced-price meals. Reduced price is $ .30 for breakfast and $ .40 for lunch.

1. Do I need to fill out an application for each child?  No. Use one Free and Reduced-Price School Meals Application for all students in your household, including foster children.  We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.  You may apply below by clicking on the "Click Here for Lunch Application" button below. Should you have any questions, please contact the School Nutrition Office at (254) 336-0775.

2 Who can get free meals? Children in households receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits (formerly the Food Stamp Program) or TANF can get free meals regardless of your income. If a member of your household is directly certified due to receiving SNAP or TANF benefits, all students in your household are eligible for free meals. If a child in your household is not included on the Letter of Direct Certification, sent to you by the SFA or if you have any questions, call the School Nutrition Office at (254)336-0775.

3. Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free or reduced-price meals? In most cases no, however read the letter you received carefully and follow the instructions. Call the School Nutrition Office at (254) 336-0775, if you have questions or a member of your household is not listed on the letter.  If your household does not receive SNAP or TANF, your children may still be eligible to receive free meals if your household income is less than the amounts listed on the federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.  Please complete the application and submit it to the school nutrition office. 

4. My child(ren) qualified for the Pre-K program do they automatically qualify for the free/reduced prices meals?  No, you must fill out an application and if you fall within the guidelines of the program you may qualify.

5. Can foster children get free meals? Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.

6. Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals?  Yes. If you have not been notified of free status under these categories, please call the administrative office at (254) 336-0240 to see if your child(ren) qualify.

7.  Who can get reduced price meals? Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced-price limits on the Federal Income Chart below.  

8. My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out another one? Yes, your child’s application is only good for one school year and for the first 30 operation days of the new school year. You must send in a new application unless you receive a letter this school year telling you that your child is eligible for the new school year. However, please read the letter you received carefully and follow the instructions. Call the School Nutrition Office at (254) 336-0775 if you have questions.

9. I get WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please fill out an application.

10. Will the information I give be checked? Yes, we may ask you to send written proof.

11. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start getting SNAP, TANF or other benefits (such as unemployment benefits).

12. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced-price meals.

13. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives or friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you.

14. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it periodically.

15. We are in the military, do we include our housing allowance as income? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military House Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance. 

16. My spouse is deployed to a combat zone; is her combat pay counted as income? No, if the combat pay is received in addition to their basic pay because of their deployment, and it wasn’t received before he/she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact the School Nutrition Office at (254) 336-0775 for more information. 

Reduced-Price Meal Income Eligibility Guidelines
Family Size Annually Monthly Twice per Month Every Two Weeks Weekly
1 $22,459 $1,872 $936 $864 $432
2 $30,451 $2,538 $1,269 $1,172 $586
3 $38,443 $3,204 $1,602 $1,479 $740
4 $46,435 $3,870 $1,935 $1,786 $893
5 $54,427 $4,536 $2,268 $2,094 $1,047
6 $62,419 $5,202 $2,601 $2,401 $1,201
7 $70,411 $5,868 $2,934 $2,709 $1,355
8 $78,403 $6,534 $3,267 $3,016 $1,508
For each additional family member add:
  + $7,992 + $666 + $333 + $308 + $154
17. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for other assistance benefits, dial 2-1-1.

18. What is the last date students on free and reduced (from the last school year (2017-2018) must submit a new application for the new school year? (2018-2019). September 24, 2018. This will give the School Nutrition Office processing time (up to 10 working days) before October 9, 2018.  Beginning October10, 2018 if an application has not been processed for the students they must begin paying full price for their meals. These guidelines are sent out by the Texas Department of Agriculture.

19. In CEP schools, applications are no longer required.  We are pleased to inform you that 28 of our campuses will continue to be on the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) under the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs for this school year. 

20. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to School Nutrition Office at (254) 336-0775. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Director of School Nutrition, 5708 E. Veterans Memorial Blvd., Killeen, Texas 76543.
If you have other questions or need help, call the School Nutrition Office
at (254) 336-0775
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877- 8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Privacy Act Statement:
The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You do not have to give the information, but if you do not, we cannot approve the participant for free or reduced price meals. You must include the last four digits of the Social Security Number of the adult household member who signs the application. The Social Security Number is not required when you apply on behalf of foster child or you list a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) eligibility number for the participant or other (FDPIR) identifier or when you indicate that the adult household member signing the application does not have a Social Security Number. We will use your information to determine if the participant is eligible for free or reduced price meals, and for administration and enforcement of the Program.