Parent & Family Engagement Policy 2018-2019
VISION: KISD focuses on cohesive partnerships between parents, family members, guardians, students, campuses, district & community members. We do this to ensure that a well-rounded comprehensive educational program is in place that honors diversity in culture and learning styles, while enhancing the students’ academic abilities. Students will engage in superior, meaningful, relevant learning opportunities, which prepare them for future success.
PURPOSE:To build and nurture strong relationships between schools, parents & family members, guardians & community; to enhance the capacity for strong two-way meaningful parent & family member engagement and increased student achievement.
KISD PARENT & FAMILY ENGAGEMENT PROGRAM EXPECTATIONS ARE:
- To increase the effectiveness of our parent and family member engagement program by conducting winter & spring evaluations, utilizing data & technology to identify barriers and develop new strategies that will guide the revision of our policy annually.
- To ensure coordination and integration of parent and family member engagement strategies and activities with other programs at the district and campus levels targeted at increasing student achievement.
- To provide schools coordination, technical assistance, and planning support in program implementation, resulting in diverse parent and family member engagement strategies that support increased academic student achievement in all core subject areas and promotes healthy eating and life-style choices.
The Written Parent & Family Engagement Policy is designed around our district’s vision, mission, objectives and values. As a result of these shared ideas:
- KISD, parents & family members, community and schools will work together as a team to develop training opportunites for staff, intended to ensure superior academic achievement for all students.
- Schools will provide a friendly, responsive environment in which parents & family members feel welcome as partners. Opportunities to engage in parent & family organizations (please visit your campus website for campus specfic information.) in the comprehensive, rigorous, educational process built upon integrity, respect and a caring attitude. KISD provides technology innovation for classroom support, leadership development, and parent & family and community engagement, so that diverse learning styles are honored and students achieve to their maximum potential.
- District financial accountability that allows transparency and input from all concerned parties, as a key component to providing maximum efforts focused on educating all students to their full potential for future success in the endeavors of their choice.
As a result of our stated vision, purpose, expectations, mission, objectives and values, we pledge to:
- Improve home-school communication via websites, newsletters, phone calls, home and campus visits, voicemail, Home Access Center, on-going conferences, Special Programs Parent & Family events, parent resources and forms of written communications to the extent feasible, in the language parents & family members can understand.
- Maintain our Volunteer Program, Special Education Department Parent Resource Center, knowledge and skills in schools, support for daily at home, head-start and other public preschool learning and support sites, in order to increase student achievement, parent and family attendance at district and campus level parent & family empowering learning opportunities. These are a few examples of the types of activities offered. (Visit KISD webpage, then select Special Programs Department. Select Parent, Family & Community Engagement) Click the + to see flyers.
Thank you District PAC (Parent Advisory Council) Parent, family & community voice in this process! Do you want to participate as a PAC member? Here’s how!
Call 336-0211/ 0280. Email: Brenda.Smith@killeenisd.org with comments or questions. Lend your voice and be heard! Serve on the 2018-2019 PAC (Parent Advisory Council).
Document review and revision dates: 03/7/ 2018 & 04/4/2018