Return to Learn 2020
The Killeen Independent School District is set to return to school August 17 with both traditional in-person classroom learning and a custom virtual online platform to accommodate families who are not comfortable sending their student back to school due to COVID-19. Our plan provides the greatest flexibility to adapt to our very fluid environment, through designed vehicles for instructional continuity, that can best navigate unforeseen circumstances as they arise.
Families are asked to request their preferred learning platform with the district by Monday, July 27.
In support of traditional in-person learning, KISD will increase custodial efforts with sanitization using hospital-grade disinfectant and encourage frequent hand washing and daily self-screening. Face coverings will be allowed beyond the expiration of any lawful directives.
KISD practices for a safe return to school include the following:
- Encourage social distancing on campus and during extracurricular activities
- Limit large gatherings, close playground equipment use, and cancel field trips
- Keep campuses closed to external visitors and require appointments
- Provide school supplies to reduce communal use
- Serve breakfast and lunch in the cafeterias, not in classrooms
- Disinfect buses following each run
- Train KISD employees and student on COVID-19 virus spread mitigation
Virtual learners will engage in live online and recorded lessons from their teachers during normal class times correlated to a normal school schedule. Training on various platforms will be available to students and parents. Attendance, assignments, assessments, and grades will be required.
KISD efforts to support online learning include the following:
- Employee professional development Aug. 4-14 addressing multiple platforms and technology integration
- Grab & Go meal distribution with required documentation
- Students in need may receive technology, connectivity, and hotline support
Families may transition between the virtual and in-person learning platform as they deem appropriate through their specific campus. Information, including a COVID-19 Safety Plan will be available on our website as required by the Texas Education Agency.
KISD has created a Return to Learn section of our website to make all Fall 2020 information easily available to our stake holders, www.killeenisd.org/RTL.