Due to the boil water notice in the City of Killeen, students and staff are encouraged to bring their own bottles of water with them for the duration of the boil order. This boil order does not impact campuses in Harker Heights, Nolanville, and Fort Hood. Our school nutrition department will serve breakfast and lunch as planned.
An Introduction to Killeen ISD's Teacher Incentive Allotment Program
House Bill 3 (HB 3), passed by the 86th Texas Legislature in June of 2019, established a Teacher Incentive Allotment (TIA) with a stated goal of a six-figure salary for teachers who prioritize teaching in high needs areas and rural district campuses. Texas Education Code (TEC) §48.112 authorizes Killeen ISD to participate in TIA. This allotment offers resources to the district to increase teacher compensation and prioritize funding for high needs and rural district campuses. Killeen ISD disbrses 90% of each allotment received through its participation in TIA to the teacher of designation. The remaining 10% of funds received as part of TIA are awarded to members of the grade or course PLC or used to provide professional development to support teachers in obtaining designation and improving classroom learning, while prioritizing high needs campuses in the district.
TEC §21.3521 authorizes Killeen ISD to establish a Local Optional Teacher Designation System (LDS) as part of TIA. The commissioner shall establish performance and validity standards for each LDS that must provide a mathematical possibility that all teachers eligible for designation may earn the designation. The district may designate a certified classroom teacher as a master, exemplary, or recognized teacher for a five-year period based on the results from single year or multiyear appraisals.For each classroom teacher with a teacher designation, the district is entitled to an allotment determined by a base amount multiplied by a high needs and rural factor. The commissioner will annually make available to the public a list of campuses with the project allotment amounts per teacher designation at each campus.
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) will periodically conduct evaluations of the effectiveness of all local optional teacher designation systems. By implementing its LDS and receiving funds under TIA, Killeen ISD has agreed to participate in these evaluations. Notwithstanding performance standards, a classroom teacher that holds a National Board Certification issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards may be designated as recognized.