Parents-Social Emotional Learning and Mental Health Awareness
Suicide Prevention Enrichment Lessons for 3rd - 5th grades
- Instructional Powerpoint
- Lesson Plan
- Handout 1 - Coping Skills
- Handout 2 - Coping Skills Bonus
- Handout 3 - Exit Tickets
- Suicide Prevention Slideshow
- Healthy Teen Dating Slideshow
- Self-Harm Slideshow
- Tips for Talking to Someone Who is Thinking About Suicide
- Talking to Your Kids About Racism
- Talking to Your Kids About Discrimination
- Racial Stress & Self-Care
- Teaching About Disabilities
- Empowering Your Special Needs Child
- Embracing Diversity
The following is a series of recorded Virtual Parent Workshops Relating to Trauma-Informed Care and Mental Wellness Awareness. The topics are based on an attachment-based, trauma-informed intervention that is designed to meet the complex needs of children with challenging behaviors, TBRI (Trust-Based Relational Intervention). TBRI offers practical tools for parents, caregivers, teachers, or anyone who works with children to see the “whole child” in their care and help that child reach their highest potential. The approach uses three basic principles, Connecting, Empowering, and Correcting to disarm fear based-behaviors.
- Connected Family
- Connected In Crisis: Teaching Children to Accept No
- The Power of Connection with Children
- Balancing Structure and Nurture
- Empowering with Respect
- Connect Before Correcting
- Daily Struggles
Below are a few activities from the series of Instant Help Workbook for Parents & Kids or Instant Help Workbook for Parents & Teens. The books were written by Lawrence Shapiro to offer fun and easy-to-use activities to teach children and teens effective skills for dealing with a variety of mental health issues and life challenges. Other activities are from the Cognitive Behavioral Toolbox for Children & Adolescents workbook, as well as TBRI (Trust-Based Relational Intervention) recommended activities. These activities are utilized by the school counselors and also may help as you work with your children at home.
- Calm Down Bingo
- Engine Plates
- Managing Your Feelings
- Using Your Thoughts to Cope with Your Feelings
- You Can Learn to Be More Patient
- Avoiding Things You Can Use To Hurt Yourself
- Coping With Stress
- Creating an SI Emergency Kit
- Doing Things That Will Make You Happy
- Understanding Why You Self-Injure
- Understanding Your Feelings
- What Causes Your Feelings
- What You Can Do Instead Of Hurting Yourself
Telehealth ServicesTelehealth Services are now available on 29 of our KISD campuses.
Please contact the school counselor if you are interested.
There are plans to expand the program throughout the district.
Harker Heights El
Live Oak Ridge
Charles E. Patterson
Roy J. Smith
Harker Heights HS
Click the link to the flyer and watch the video for more Information.