Killeen ISD Goals and Priorities
Killeen Independent School District
District Goals and Priorities
Our Community Designed Strategic Design Framework
Call To Action: Lifelong learners engage in personalized educational opportunities to create their own success and thrive in an ever-changing world.
Goal 1: Killeen ISD will equip and empower campus leadership, faculty and staff to consistently provide research-based best practices, resulting in future-ready students.
- 1.1 Design, develop and implement programs promoting responsible technology use (digital citizenship)
- 1.1.1 • Year 1 • 1st - Develop a student and staff Smartphone personal device policy to limit classroom distractions.
- 1.1.2 • Year 2 • 2nd - Opportunities for parent/teacher education regarding prominent social media issues.
- 1.1.3 • Year 3 • 3rd - Provide a technology security plan.
- 1.2 Identify & provide resources and professional support for students' emotional, mental and behavioral health needs
- 1.2.1 • Year 1 & 2 • 1st - Provide professional development to train teachers to work with students that have emotional or behavioral needs.
- 1.2.3 • Year 1 • 2nd - Implement a framework for minimizing classroom distractions.
- 1.2.4 • Year 1 & 2 • 3rd - Implement professional development to address micro, macro-aggressions and social bias through the promotion of awareness and positive behavior support initiatives.
- 1.2.5 • Year 1 & 2 • 4th - Utilize district disciplinary data to make decisions regarding additional behavioral support.
Goal 2: Killeen ISD will recruit, retain, and develop excellent, creative educators to maximize student achievement.
- 2.1 Implement and monitor a plan for instructional excellence:
- Implement standards-based, aligned instruction
- Monitor and coach the implementation of standards-based aligned instruction
- 2.1.1 • Year 1 & 2 • Implement an instructional framework for the teaching of reading and writing.
- 2.2 Ensure the implementation of a guaranteed and viable curriculum through common assessments and progress monitoring
- 2.2.1 • Year 1 • Provide campuses with training and support on the use of common assessment data and walkthrough observation data to improve instruction.
Goal 3: Killeen ISD will engage all stakeholders in the work of developing lifelong learners through positive, collaborative relationships and meaningful communication.
- 3.1 Create a multi-platform/multi-lingual communication plan
- 3.1.1 • Year 1 • Translate all communications and resources into the most common languages identified in the district.
- 3.1.2 • Year 1 • Utilize social media to convey regular, positive messaging.
- 3.2 Develop a brand strategy and deliver it through a comprehensive marketing campaign
- 3.2.1 • Year 1 • Develop a brand for the district that instills and conveys the positive, exciting opportunities for all students.
- 3.2.3 • Year 1 • Deliver the brand message in all communications in all areas of the district to all stakeholders.
- 3.2. Expand parenting events/training with flexible times and multiple opportunities
- 3.3.1 • Year 2 • Add parent liaisons at every campus.
- 3.3.2 • Year 2 • Continue and expand parenting workshops.
- 3.4 Refine and strengthen community engagement and partnerships
- 3.4.1 • Year 2 • Establish a district-wide mentor program utilizing community members who are recruited, trained, and monitored.
- 3.4.2 • Year 2 • Expand the services offered by the Communities-In-Schools program to all schools.
Goal 4: Killeen ISD will provide a safe and healthy learning environment, and identify and address social, emotional, and behavioral distractors; thereby improving student achievement.
- 4.1 Recruit quality teachers
- 4.1.1 • Year 1 • Post specific job openings/positions by campus, grade level, and/or subject area.
- 4.1.2 • Year 1 & 2 • Provide a compensation package competitive with state and local districts (Year 1). Research additional teacher compensation for identified at-risk campuses, to include critical shortage areas, and feasibility of providing smaller class sizes, additional off period, or other incentives for teaching at specific at-risk campuses (Year 2).
- 4.1.3 • Year 1 • When recruiting, highlight opportunities for professional growth and advancement and develop working partnerships with area universities to bring recruits to KISD. Publish campus internship/student teacher opportunities on district website.
- 4.2 Retain quality teachers
- 4.2.1 • Year 1 • New Teacher Induction (NTI), mentor program, and professional development reviewed and strengthened to include job-alike, academic planning, and classroom management.
- 4.2.2 • Year 1 & 2 • Provide a compensation package competitive with state and local districts (Year 1). Research additional teacher compensation for identified at-risk campuses, to include critical shortage areas, and feasibility of providing smaller class sizes, additional off period, or other incentives for teaching at specific at-risk campuses (Year 2).
Goal 5: Killeen ISD will effectively and efficiently manage district resources and operations to maximize learning opportunities for all students and staff.
Communication Skills: All learners will communicate effectively utilizing the appropriate modality.
Student Success: All KISD students will demonstrate academic, social and emotional growth.
Personalized Learning: Each learner will achieve individual goals within a personal success plan.
College/Career: Each KISD student will be college, career and/or military ready upon graduation.
Problem Solving/Critical Thinking: Learners will work individually and collaboratively in problem-solving, employing critical thinking and creativity in finding solutions to real-life solutions.
A KISD Learner (is):
- Globally aware - Connects globally
- Adapts to change
- Thinks critically & solves problems